How can I get my arms more defined? This is a question that I get asked repeatedly. Most people want to wear tank tops, sleeveless shirts and bathing suits during the summer. These are a few isolation exercises that can help attain this goal. The secret to work all muscles of the arms especially the triceps:
- Seated Incline Dumbbell Curls – Sit on a chair or incline bench and adjust to 45 degrees. With arms to the sides, raise dumbbells and slowly lower to the side. Adjust the bench to 60 degrees and perform another set of 8-10 reps.
- Tricep Kickbacks – Stand up in a forward lunge position and hold a dumbbell in each hand. Lean the body slightly forward and slowly kick back both arms keeping elbows steady as a hinge. Perform 2 sets of 10 reps.
- Hammer Curls – Hold dumbbells with flat head facing down. Slowly rise up and lower. This will work the forearms and brachialis muscle in the bicep. Perform 10 reps and repeat.
- Concentration Curls – Hold a dumbbell in your right hand and sit at the edge of chair or bench. Place your elbow inside your right thigh. While bending forward at a 45 degree angle, keep abs tight and place left hand on left leg for support. Slowly lower dumbbell and rise while squeezing the bicep. Perform 10 reps and repeat.
- Lying Triceps –Lie down on back, knees bent and hold a dumbbell on either side of the head and slowly bend arms back and straighten arms but do not lock elbows. Perform 8 – 10 reps for 3 sets
Always remember to perform compound exercises first before starting on isolation exercises such as back or chest exercises before biceps. The back and chest exercises will automatically work the biceps. Please remember to breathe, use proper form, drink plenty of water and stretch afterwards.